2013/01/22

trustworthy answers // respuestas confiables

(más abajo en español)
Psalm 13  
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? 
How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day?  
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?  
Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death, 
lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,” lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken. 
But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 
I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me.

 ~~I read this psalm a few days ago and I couldn't help but notice the questions that had no answers. "How long?" I find myself asking that some days. Today was one of those days, as grief washed over me once again. How long will I feel this pain? How long will I grieve my son? How long will my heart feel broken? 

While there are no answers to the questions, there is a certainty in the last two verses that can't be shaken. There is trust in a love that will not let go, and there is rejoicing in the only thing we can truly count on. This results in singing to YHWH. Why? Because of grace. Because the psalmist had seen the showering of grace in his life already, he didn't need to know how long. Even though he had "sorrow in (his) heart all the day" he was singing with joy. While they may seem exclusive, joy and sorrow many times share the same tears.

Gift #49. While I don't have answers, I'm thankful for the gift of knowing that the one who names the stars will also mend and heal me.
Psalm 147:3,4 - He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Salmo 13  
¿Hasta cuándo, oh SEÑOR? ¿Me olvidarás para siempre? ¿Hasta cuándo esconderás de mí tu rostro?
¿Hasta cuándo he de tomar consejo en mi alma, teniendo pesar en mi corazón todo el día?
        ¿Hasta cuándo mi enemigo se enaltecerá sobre mí?
Considera y respóndeme, oh SEÑOR, Dios mío; ilumina mis ojos, no sea que duerma el sueño de la muerte;
no sea que mi enemigo diga: Lo he vencido; y mis adversarios se regocijen cuando yo sea sacudido.
Mas yo en tu misericordia he confiado; mi corazón se regocijará en tu salvación.
Cantaré al SEÑOR, porque me ha colmado de bienes.

~~Leí este salmo hace unos días y en seguida me di cuenta de las preguntas que no tenían respuestas. "¿Hasta cuándo?" Hay días que me pregunto lo mismo. Hoy fue uno de esos días en que el dolor me inundó otra vez. ¿Hasta cuándo sentiré este dolor? ¿Hasta cuándo estaré de luto por mi hijo? ¿Hasta cuándo sentiré el corazón roto?

Aunque no haya respuesta a las preguntas del salmista, hay una certeza en los últimos dos versículos que no puede ser quebrantada. Hay confianza en un amor que nunca lo va a soltar, y hay regocijo en lo único de que podemos realmente depender. Y esto resulta en canciones a YHWH. ¿Porqué? Por gracia. Como el salmista ya había visto las lluvias de gracia en su vida no necesitaba saber hasta cuando. Aunque tenía "pesar en (su) corazón todo el día", cantaba con gozo. Aunque parezcan excluyentes, el gozo y el dolor muchas veces comparten las mismas lágrimas.

Obsequio N°49: Aunque no tenga respuestas, estoy agradecida de saber que el que nombró las estrellas también me sanará y me vendará.
Salmo 147: 3, 4 - Sana a los quebrantados de corazón, y venda sus heridas.
Cuenta el número de las estrellas, y a todas ellas les pone nombre.

No comments: